PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024 is open now. Wageningen University & Research is a center for life sciences, offering globally relevant themes and fostering a diverse international community. We assist international employees with Dutch immigration procedures, ensuring a smooth visa application process for both individuals and their families. Our International Community page provides essential information and support for newcomers, covering various aspects like job searches for partners, housing, schooling, and tax exemptions under the “30% rule” for certain international staff members.
We’re seeking a motivated PhD student to join our multidisciplinary, international team working on the EU-COUSIN project, focusing on exploring Crop Wild Relatives (CWRs) of significant European crops like wheat, barley, pea, cabbages, and lettuce. Specifically, your role will concentrate on studying traits related to environmental resilience in Lactuca serriola, the primary wild relative of cultivated lettuce. This involves assessing genetic variations in environmental resilience within L. serriola using state-of-the-art facilities at the Netherlands Plant Eco-phenotyping Centre (NPEC). NPEC offers cutting-edge phenotyping platforms, enabling high-throughput studies of plant performance under various environmental conditions, ultimately aiming to enhance lettuce crop resilience traits not yet available in the cultivated varieties.
At Wageningen University & Research, our mission is to leverage nature’s potential for improving quality of life. Our collaborative approach and integrated solutions address crucial questions related to healthy food and sustainable living environments. With numerous branches, thousands of employees, and a substantial student body, we’re at the forefront of research and education in our domain. Your research will be part of the Laboratory of Genetics, led by Prof. Mark Aarts, within the Botanical Genetics team. Join us in contributing to groundbreaking research that aims to enhance crop resilience and address critical challenges in agriculture.
PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024
Program: PhD Position
Coverage: Fully Funded
Institute: Wageningen University
Host Region: Netherland
Field: Plant Biotechnology
Eligibility Criteria for PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024
- Strong interest in experimental plant research, plant phenotyping, plant breeding, and data science.
- Proficiency in image analysis methods for extracting plant traits, preferably with classical machine-learning and deep learning-based algorithms.
- Completed MSc degree in plant sciences, plant biology, plant biotechnology, or related fields, with a solid background in quantitative genetics.
- Proficient coding skills in Python, C++, Java, or similar programming languages.
- Collaborative mindset and excellent communication abilities.
- Advanced English language proficiency, both spoken and written, preferably at a C1 level. An internationally recognized Certificate of Proficiency in English may be required in some cases.
Responsibilities for PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024
- Assisting visiting researchers in utilizing NPEC phenotyping facilities and interpreting data.
- Designing experimental setups and methodologies for assessing environmental resilience traits in Lettuce Crop Wild Relatives.
- Contributing to the creation of peer-reviewed scientific publications based on project outcomes.
- Conducting diversity panel screens and genome-wide association studies for quantitative trait locus analysis.
- Integrating promising traits from wild lettuce into cultivated varieties for future breeding.
- Presenting project findings to both project partners and the broader scientific community.
Benefits of PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024
- Flexible working hours can be negotiated for a better work-life balance.
- A fixed December bonus equivalent to 8.3%.
- Excellent pension scheme provided.
- Initial contract for 18 months, with the potential for extension based on performance throughout the project duration.
- Opportunity to accumulate additional compensation/holiday hours by working up to 40 hours per week.
- Access to campus sports facilities for a nominal fee, emphasizing vitality.
- Fully funded PhD position with a tailored course program.
- Abundant opportunities for personal initiative in a conducive learning setting.
- Access to excellent training opportunities.
- A distinctive position within an international environment known for its welcoming atmosphere.
- Work location at Holland’s greenest and most innovative campus.
- Affiliation with a university recognized as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for 18 consecutive years.
- Gross salary starts at €2,770 per month in the first year and increases to €3,539 per month in the fourth year (based on a full-time 38-hour workweek, scale P according to CAO-NU).
- Partially paid parental leave is available.
How to Apply for PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University 2024
- Interested applicants must apply online
- Link to apply online is given below.
- Fill out information carefully.
- Upload all required documents.
- Application received after last date will not be considered.
- For further details about this position, reach out to Prof. Dr. Mark Aarts or contact Rick van de Zeddevia through following given contact information
- For procedural inquiries, connect with Dax Teunissen, our corporate recruiter, via following given email address.
- Last date to apply for PhD Position in Netherland in Plant Biotechnology at Wageningen University is 22nd January, 2024.
Contact Information of Prof. Dr. Mark Aarts and Rick van de Zedde for Further Details
Prof. Dr. Mark Aarts
Rick van de Zedde
For more information about the procedure
Dax Teunissen, corporate recruiter