PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024 is open now. The Department of Food Science, Section of Food Design and Consumer Behavior, is seeking applications for a PhD fellowship focused on sustainability assessment within algae to food value chains. This initiative is part of the larger research projects MASSPROVIT (Making microalgae a sustainable future source of proteins and vitamins) and SeaFree (“Seaweed Synergy” Enabling Emission-Free Seafood), financially supported by DFF (Denmark’s Independent Research Foundation) and IFD (InnovationFund Denmark). The anticipated start date for this position is May 1, 2024, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The research group’s primary focus is on fostering sustainable innovation in food science, emphasizing critical insights into the food matrix’s effects during gentle processing and whole biomass utilization. Their expertise spans environmentally sustainable raw materials production, extraction processes, green chemistry principles, and a deep understanding of food component properties within complex matrices during processing, storage, and consumption.
With a robust international network encompassing both industry and research, the group is engaged in advancing eco-efficient resource management, food processing technologies, and analytical and sensory measurement methods in food innovation.
Taking a holistic approach, the group explores pathways towards circular regenerative food systems, integrating green/clean technologies within circular multi-actor industrial ecology systems. This approach aims to contribute to environmental restoration and climate change mitigation while addressing global societal challenges associated with the transgression of planetary boundaries.
The research group operates within the Department of Food Science, Faculty of SCIENCE, at the University of Copenhagen, located in Copenhagen. The PhD program offers a three-year full-time study within the regular PhD framework (5+3 scheme) for candidates with an equivalent education to a relevant Danish master’s degree. The PhD fellowship is a full-time position for a maximum of three years, contingent upon successful enrollment as a PhD student at the PhD School at the Faculty of SCIENCE, University of Copenhagen. The terms of appointment and payment align with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State, covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
Program: PhD Position
Coverage: Fully Funded
Institute: University of Copenhagen
Host Region: Denmark
Field: Food Sciences
Project: Food Design and Sustainability
Eligibility Criteria for PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
- Curious mindset with a strong interest in life cycle assessment of food systems and diets
- Completion of a degree program equivalent to a Danish master’s degree (180 ECTS/3 FTE BSc + 120 ECTS/2 FTE MSc)
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD project
- Degree should be in a subject area related to the project, such as industrial ecology, environmental/sustainability science, or food science
- Good language skills
- Relevant publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other relevant professional activities
Required Documents for PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
- Motivated letter of application (max. one page)
- Publication list (if possible)
- Curriculum vitae including information about education, experience, language skills, and other relevant skills for the position
- Reference letters (if available)
- Original diplomas for Bachelor of Science or Master of Science and transcript of records in the original language
- Include an authorized English translation if issued in another language than English or Danish.
- If not completed, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor is accepted.
Responsibilities for PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
- Write and defend a PhD thesis based on the conducted research project.
- Conduct an independent research project under supervision.
- Complete PhD courses equivalent to approximately 30 ECTS or half of a full-time equivalent (FTE).
- Engage in active research environments, including a preferred stay at another research institution abroad.
- Successfully complete and pass the MSc education following the curriculum of the MSc program (Only applicable when attending the integrated MSc and PhD program).
- Contribute to teaching and knowledge dissemination activities.
- Author scientific papers targeting high-impact journals.
Benefit of PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
- Creative and stimulating working conditions
- Dynamic and international research environment
- Access to modern laboratories
- Availability of databases and modeling tools
How to Apply for PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen 2024
- Interested applicants must apply online.
- Link to apply is given below.
- Carefully fill out all required information.
- Application received after last date will not be considered.
- Last date to apply for PhD Position in Denmark in Food Sciences at University of Copenhagen is 31st January, 2024.