Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024 is open now. The University of Veterinary Medicine, Clinical Department for Farm Animals and Food System Science, Centre for Animal Nutrition and Welfare, is seeking a University Assistant (Pre-Doc) at Grade B1, with a level of employment of 30 hours per week. The contract duration is limited to 4 years, with the reference number 2023/0419.
The successful candidate will be part of a research team working on a fully funded four-year project starting on May 1, 2024. The main focus of the project is to investigate telomere dynamics as an indicator of cumulative life experiences, including both positive and negative experiences, in non-human animals. Domestic chickens are the model species for this interdisciplinary project, which encompasses animal welfare, behavioral biology, neuroendocrinology, and molecular biology. The selected candidate will collaborate with different labs, with most of the work conducted in Vienna, Austria, and laboratory analysis taking place in Groningen, Netherlands for approximately 6 months.
In alignment with the 2002 Universities Act, the Vetmeduni aims to increase the proportion of female staff, especially in leadership roles, and strives for a balanced gender ratio among its scientific staff. Female candidates, equally qualified as the most suitable male candidates, will be given preference if women are underrepresented (below 50%). The Vetmeduni holds the certificate “hochschuleundfamilie” (university and family) and encourages applications from individuals with families. Additionally, the university welcomes applications from persons with disabilities.
There is no cost associated with applying for the position, but candidates are not entitled to reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs related to their applications.
Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
Program: Pre Doc Position
Institute: University of Veterinary Medicine
Coverage: Fully Funded
Field: Animal Sciences
Eligibility Criteria for Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
- Experience in handling and training animals
- Experience in collecting samples and laboratory analysis
- Completed degree in biosciences, veterinary medicine, agriculture, psychology, or a related field (Diploma or Bachelor and Master degree with a total of 300 ECTS)
- Proficiency in English at C1 level, with excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Willingness to perform work in two laboratories (in Austria and Netherlands)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and have good interpersonal skills
- Previous experience in research and statistical analysis
- Must have a Class B driving license (for collecting enrichment and other project-related material, inducing transportation stress, etc.)
- Willingness to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary setting
Required Documents for Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
- A written report, e.g., your MSc thesis, indicating your writing and/or scientific skills
- A letter of motivation describing your research interests, experience, and goals
- A list of two reference names
Benefits of Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
- The opportunity to work on a research project with major implications for animal welfare
- The opportunity to develop research skills in multiple disciplines
- A collaborative and multidisciplinary working environment
- Top university: TheVeterinary MedicineUniversity is one of the leading academic institutions in Europe to offer education in and undertake research on veterinary medicine
- Stable employer
- Attractive campus
- The minimum salaries at universities are governed by a collective bargaining agreement. At the level given above, the minimum salary amounts to EUR 3,277.30 gross per month (based on full-time employment).
- Opportunities for further training, both personal and in connection with your career
- Preventive and medical health care
- Diversity- and family-friendly culture
- Childcare facilities, both in term time and during holidays
- Many attractive fringe benefits
- Staff events
Responsibilities and Tasks for Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
- Implementing operant conditioning techniques to assess emotional states.
- Conducting research and laboratory work.
- Collaborating with animal caretakers to ensure the well-being of experimental animals.
- Conducting statistical analyses on gathered data.
- Drafting and preparing manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Applying enrichment activities and stressors to the animals for research purposes.
- Collecting blood and faecal samples and analysing the resulting data.
- Preparing the PhD thesis based on the research findings.
How to Apply for Pre Doc Position in Vienna at University of Veterinary Medicine 2024
- Applicants must apply online.
- Submit your application via email, quoting reference number 2023/0419 at following given email address.
- Include the reference number in your email for correct assignment.
- For additional information, contact Dr. Janja Sirovnik through following given contact details.
- Last date to apply for Pre Doc Position in Vienne at University of Veterinary Medicine is 15th February, 2024.